Departments‎ > ‎Town Clerk‎ > ‎


The municipal and State of Maine general and referendum elections are held annually on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November. The primary election is held on the second Tuesday in June during even numbered years.  



  • July 14, 2020 [Moved from June 9th]
    State Primary/Referendum Election and School Budget Validation Referendum Election
  • November 3, 2020
    General (Presidential) and Municipal Election


Voting will take place at the Scarborough High School, located at 11 Municipal Drive from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on election day for all Scarborough voters, regardless of ward or precinct.


Besides Election Day, Scarborough voters can vote early, in-person, prior to an election. Requests for Absentee Ballots can be made 3 months prior to an Election. Absentee Voting will be available up until Election Day. 


To see sample ballots click here.

To request an absentee ballot

The State Primary and Special Referendum Election and the School Budget Validation Referendum Election are Tuesday, July 14th. 


At this time, absentee ballots are available for the July 14th Election at Town Hall in Council Chambers during regular business hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Monday & Friday and 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday. Voters may request their absentee ballot any time up to Election Day. The deadline for requesting an absentee ballot electronically or by telephone is Thursday, July 9th.

To minimize interaction with others during this public health pandemic (COVID-19), some voters may prefer voting by absentee ballot.  Casting an absentee ballot is convenient and secure. 


Absentee ballots may be requested in writing, by phone, online, or in person up to and including the day of the election, without specifying a reason.  However, if you are asking to receive your ballot by mail, please request it early enough to allow for postal mail delivery time – both to receive it and return it (2-5 days each way).


  • You can request an absentee ballot by calling your Municipal Clerk’s office at 730-4020; or,
  • You can request an absentee ballot online or by mail from the Secretary of State's website: 

  • Absentee ballot requests are being accepted right now. 
  • Ballots must be returned to the Polls no later than 8:00 pm on Election Day.
For additional information go to:

Election Results

Election results are posted on the Town website.

Past Election Results

Documents are in Adobe PDF format, and may take a few moments to load.
Showing 0 files from page Election Results.

Voter Registration

Residents are encouraged to update their voter registration information or register to vote with the Town Clerk's office prior to Election Day to help reduce lines.

Voter Registration is available for new voters or for existing Scarborough voters to change their address or name at Town Hall during regular business hours, or by submitting the voter registration form linked below. Please print, fill out, and return the form to the Clerk's Office along with a copy of your photo ID and something with your Scarborough address (if your photo ID does not show your Scarborough address).

To find out more on Voter Registration, please click the link below - this will take to the Secretary of State's web page. - Secretary of State - Voter Information []

Enrolling in a Political Party

There are three official political parties within the State of Maine - Democrat, Green-Independent, and Republican. Voters have the option to enroll in one of these three parties when registering to vote, but selecting a political party is not required. 

The employees in the Scarborough Town Clerk's Office cannot answer questions for citizens regarding the purposes and objectives of the various political parties in Maine; individuals with questions are encouraged to contact the parties directly.


Nomination Papers

Nomination papers are available in the Town Clerk's office on the first Wednesday in August for seats on the Town Council, Board of Education, and the Scarborough Sanitary Board of Trustees. All nomination papers must be returned to the Town Clerk's office by close of business on the first Wednesday of September. If you have any questions, please contact the Town Clerk's Office at 207-730-4020.


MAXIMUM SIGN SIZES – Freestanding (FS) /Wall-Mounted (W)








R3, VR2, VR4



B2, B3


Ind., I-O. L-I



TVC-3, TVC-4, RH, RH2, CPD




Temporary signs in the right-of-way


Gross Area

6 sf

6 sf


Temporary Signs on private property


Gross Area

16 sf

16 sf


16 sf

32 sf


Campaign Finances

Maine Election Law requires municipal candidates in cities and towns with a population of 15,000 or more to disclose their campaign contributions and expenditures, to comply with contribution limitations and prohibitions, and to meet other requirements of the law. These same requirements apply to gubernatorial. legislative, and county candidates running for office.

We urge candidates and their campaign treasurers to become familiar with the laws as early in the campaign as possible. Please remember to:
  • Register on time
  • Read all communications from the municipal clerk
  • Keep detailed records of contributions and expenditures
  • File reports on time 
 Copies of the law may be obtained from the Maine Ethics Commission's web site, link below, or from the Town Clerk's office.

INTERESTED IN WORKING AT THE POLLS? Click here and fill out the application and return it to the Town Clerk's office