Refer to Town Ordinance Chapter 311 - Schedule of Fees, for additional fees and information.
Building Permit Fees
Minimum Fee: $35.00
|Permit Type||Information & Fees|
|Residential||The building permit fees shall be $0.25 per square foot of "unfinished" area, and $0.50 per square foot of "finished" area. There will be no maximum fee.|
|Commercial||The building permit fees for all commercial buildings/structures shall be $0.25 per square foot of "unfinished" area, and $0.50 per square foot of "finished" area. There will be no maximum fee.|
Renovations and minor additions: permit fees may be calculated at a rate of $12.50 per $1000 of estimated construction cost.
- Finished Area - refers to a room or portion thereof which has been completed to the point where final covering of wall studs has been accomplished with paneling or sheetrock, or is a “conditioned” space within the thermal envelope of the building, regardless of wall covering.
- Unfinished Area - refers to a foundation, basement, attic, garage, warehouse, barn, etc., in which there is no final covering of wall studs with paneling or sheetrock, or in which there is no “conditioned” space, or no building thermal envelope required.
- Building Thermal Envelope - The basement walls, exterior walls, floor, roof and any other building element that enclose “conditioned” spaces.
- Conditioned Space - An area, room or space that is enclosed within the building thermal envelope and that is directly heated or cooled or that is indirectly heated or cooled. Spaces are indirectly heated or cooled where they communicate thru openings with conditioned spaces, where they are separated from conditioned spaces by uninsulated walls, floors or ceilings or where they contain uninsulated ducts, piping or other sources of heating or cooling.
- conditioned space (CE): a cooled space, heated space, or indirectly conditioned space defined as follows:
- cooled space: an enclosed space within a building that is cooled by a cooling system whose sensible output capacity is 3.4 Btu/h·ft2 of floor area.
- heated space: an enclosed space within a building that is heated by a heating system whose output capacity relative to the floor area is greater than or equal to 14 Btu/h-ft2 of floor area
- indirectly conditioned space: an enclosed space within a building that is not a heated space or a cooled space, which is heated or cooled indirectly by being connected to adjacent spaces, provided:
- the product of the U-factors and surface areas of the space adjacent to connected spaces exceeds the combined sum of the product of the U-factors and surface areas of the space adjoining the outdoors, unconditioned spaces, and to or from semi-heated spaces (e.g., corridors) or
- that air from heated or cooled spaces is intentionally transferred (naturally or mechanically) into the space at a rate exceeding 3 ach (e.g., atria).