Skip To Main Content


Frequently Asked Questions

Please see the following list of frequent asked questions received by the Scarborough Police Department. To read more about a specific FAQ, click on an item below to expand. For additional information, ask a question using our Town contact form. 

What is the Town's policy on parking during a snow storm?

Please refer to the Town's Traffic Ordinance.

Why did I get a parking ticket overnight on my own street?

Town Ordinance prohibits parking every night from 2am till 6am on every town road. There are additional geographical restrictions, please see the town's Traffic Ordinance.

I am going away on vacation, can the police keep an extra eye on my home while I am gone?

Yes we can. Simply call dispatch at (207)883-6361 and leave us your name, address, length of leave, and who to contact in case of emergency, and we will do the rest.

I just moved to Maine. How long can I keep my out of state registration & license?

State law requires you to register your vehicle within 30 day of residency. State law also requires you to obtain a Maine license within 30 days of residency. Your out of state inspection sticker is good until it expires.

Can I drive my uninspected vehicle to an inspection station?

Yes you can. However, you must obtain a permit from the Police department. You need to show proof of insurance and we need to see your registration and driver's license. Permits may be issued by a police officer after viewing the vehicle, and are good for 3 days, but only one trip to the inspection station.

Can I drive an unregistered car?

You are subject to a ticket if the registration has been expired more than 30 days. It must be towed on a car carrier or trailer (no part of the vehicle can touch the ground). A vehicle you purchased can not be driven with plates from the seller. Those vehicles must also be towed.

Can I have my VIN # verified?

Yes, any police officer can verify your vehicle's VIN.

Can I have my fingerprints taken?

Yes, please bring any fingerprint cards you were given to the police station. We will have an officer fingerprint you as time permits. It is usually a very short wait. Sorry, we can not make appointments. There is a $10.00 fee.

Note: This service is only available to residents of Scarborough

How can I get a copy of my accident report?

Please refer to the Request an Accident Report page.

Is there a leash law in Scarborough?

Please refer to the Town's Animal Control Ordinance.