The Public Works Vehicle Maintenance Division, currently a team of 8 employees, provides comprehensive scheduled maintenance and repair to more than 250 light, medium, and heavy-duty vehicles as well as off-road equipment. This division also oversees the town’s fuel distribution program. Our goal is to provide the highest quality service at a reasonable cost, while ensuring safety and reliability. Employee development and proactive management techniques ensure continued improvement to our service on town vehicles.
The division provides the following key services in support of town operations:
- Repair and maintenance of approximately 250 light, medium, and heavy-duty vehicles and off-road equipment.
- Purchase of 181,500 gallons of fuel (gasoline, diesel, & propane) annually at optimum prices.
- New vehicle & equipment purchases. Development of specifications to meet town needs & objectives.
- Assist in the development of annual vehicle and equipment replacement schedules and manage vehicle warranties & recalls.
- Inspection, licensing, and titling of all new vehicles & equipment.
- Maintaining inventories and computerized histories of all vehicles, equipment and parts.
- Provide parts inventory control utilizing best quality parts for price.
- Provide automated monthly billing services.
- Provide 24/7 maintenance support during critical events, such as snow storms.
- Manage vehicle disposal with scheduled auctions.
- Provide repair estimates for accidents & damage.
- Metal fabrication.
- Provide 24/7 fueling availability, response, and system support. Fuel disbursement, tracking, and control.
- Maintain & update fueling facilities as needed and required.
- Support sustainability by running 11 vehicles & 3 pieces of equipment on alternative fuels. Purchase hybrids & other most fuel-efficient vehicles possible.
- Implement environmentally sound practices to reduce harmful emissions.
- Pilot new technologies aimed at reducing costs and improving fleet performance.
- Ensure full compliance with federal, state, and local mandates regarding fuel, underground storage tanks, and handling of hazardous materials.
- Strive to make continuous improvement in all levels of the organization to offer the highest quality of customer service possible.