Skip To Main Content

Animal Licenses & Permits

Dog Licensing

State law requires that all dogs be licensed in the municipality in which they reside. All dogs 6 months and older must have a license. If you become the owner of a dog 6 months or older, the dog must be licensed within 10 days. In order to obtain a license for your dog, you must present a current Rabies Certificate obtained from a veterinarian. This certificate will verify that your dog has received its rabies shot within the past two years. All dog licenses expire December 31st of each year. Renewal of licenses for the following year can be done at the Town Clerk's Office beginning October 15th of each calendar year. 

All dog renewals must be completed by January 31, 2024. Pursuant to M.R.S.A. Title 7 - subsection 3923-A.4 there is a $25 late fee starting February 1st. 

Also, bring with you written proof that the dog(s) has been spayed or neutered, if applicable. If you have already shown proof to the Town Clerk's Office, then additional proof is not necessary.

To receive a license for your dog, please come into the Town Clerk's Office at Town Hall during our business hours which are Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. You may also re-license your dog through the mail or on-line at the website below.

State of Maine - Dog Licensing

License Fees
$6.00/year for spayed/neutered dogs
$11.00/year for non-spayed/ neutered dogs

Our mailing address is Town Clerk's Office, PO Box 360 – Scarborough, ME 04070. You must send a copy of a current, State of Maine rabies certificate, along with a check payable to the "Town of Scarborough" for the appropriate fee, and we will process the license and return the material to you.

Note: Although cats do not require a license, they must be vaccinated against rabies.

General Information

Dog licensing ensures rabies vaccination which protects the health of your pet. Citizens should also know that by licensing their dog, they are directly fighting animal cruelty and abuse. Most people do not realize that up to 90% of their dog license fees go directly to the Maine Animal Welfare Program. Dog license fees account for 95% of the State Animal Welfare Program’s entire funding and without these fees, the State would be unable to protect the animals of this state.

Animal Control Officer

To contact Animal Control Officer Jennifer Cross, please contact the Scarborough Police Department at (207) 730-4318. This phone number should be used for questions and general information. If a Scarborough resident has a complaint to report, such as a barking dog, or to report an injured animal, please call the Scarborough Police Department dispatcher at 883-6361. The Animal Control Officer handles a variety of animal-related issues such as dog licensing enforcement, taking stray dogs to the animal shelter, following up on citizen complaints regarding barking dogs, lost dogs or cases of animal abuse or neglect, responding to calls of injured animals due to an auto accident or other accident, overseeing enforcement of the Town's Animal Control Ordinance, citizen education regarding rabies prevention, and other related issues.

Horse Beach Permit

Many changes have been made to the Horse Beach Permit rules and regulations so please read the Horse Beach Permit Ordinance before obtaining a permit and riding your horse on the beach.

Horses are allowed to ride on the beach beginning October 1st through March 31st of every year. Horse Beach Permits are good for traveling in the tidal area from Pine Point Beach to Old Orchard Beach/Saco line. Permits are issued starting September 15th for the new year and will be made available at that time. The fee for the permit is $20.00. Permits can be obtained from either the Scarborough Town Clerk's Office (207-730-4020) or the Old Orchard Beach Town Clerk's office (207-934-4042).


Please refer to the ordinance linked below for further requirements.

Horse Beach Permit Ordinance


Horse Beach Permit Application