The purpose of the Scarborough Sustainability Committee is to promote energy and environmental sustainability in Scarborough, and to research energy programs, projects and policies through conservation and alternative energy use.
The Scarborough Energy Committee meets monthly on the fourth Wednesday of the month, beginning at 8:00 AM normally in the Town Manager's Conference room at the Municipal Building and occasionally in other Town facilities. The public is invited to attend.
Increase Recycling in Scarborough
The Energy Committee has been tasked with considering ways to increase the recycling rate and thereby reduce solid waste and costs associated with disposal. This analysis will include consideration of a Pay-As-You-Throw program to incentivize recycling.
We welcome community input into the process and encourage interested residents to contact us at the email provided below with questions about Scarborough's single-sort curbside recycling program as well as any ideas you may have for improving our recycling rate - and reduce the financial impact of solid waste collection and disposal.
Solar Panel Installation
(Technical Screens for Level 2 PV Installations)
The Comprehensive Energy Plan will guide the Town of Scarborough towards an energy management system that is financially and environmentally sustainable.
- Do a Home Energy Audit! (Home Energy Audit Instructions | Home Energy Audit Checklist)
- Install a programmable thermostat to lower utility bills and manage your heating and cooling systems efficiently.
- Air dry dishes instead of using your dishwasher's drying cycle.
- Turn things off when you are not in the room such as lights, TVs, entertainment systems, and your computer and monitor.
- Plug home electronics, such as TVs and DVD players, into power strips; turn the power strips off when the equipment is not in use.
- Lower the thermostat on your water heater to 120°F.
- Take short showers instead of baths and use low-flow showerheads for additional energy savings.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.Air dry clothes.
- Check to see that windows and doors are closed when heating or cooling your home.
- Drive sensibly; aggressive driving such as speeding, and rapid acceleration and braking, wastes fuel.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR® label on light bulbs, home appliances, electronics, and other products.
Efficiency Maine helps businesses and residents use energy resources more efficiently, reduce energy costs, and lighten the impact on Maine's environment from the burning of fossil fuels.
Efficiency Maine programs provide incentives, training and technical assistance to residents and businesses to save energy and money. They have special programs to help low-income Mainers and small businesses save energy and money.
Find out for yourself the amount of energy typical home appliances use by borrowing a Kill A Watt meter from the Scarborough Library (free to Scarborough residents). Learn what appliances are the "energy hogs'' in your home so that you can develop a plan for reducing energy use and cost.
Ever ask yourself, "Can this be recycled"? ecomaine has answers!
|November 30, 2022||Agenda||Minutes|
|October 26, 2022||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 28, 2022||Agenda||Minutes|
|July 27, 2022||Agenda||Minutes|
|June 13, 2022||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 25, 2022||Agenda||Minutes|
|April 27, 2022||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 23, 2022||Agenda||Minutes|
|February 23, 2022||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 26, 2022||Minutes|
|January 26, 2021||Agenda|
|December 1, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|October 27, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 22, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|August 25, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|August 4, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|June 23, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 26, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|April 28, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|February 24, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|Janaury 27, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|December 4, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|October 23, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 17, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|August 28, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|July 24, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|June 26, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 22, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|April 24, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 27, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|February 27, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 23, 2019||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 28, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|October 24, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 26, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|August 29, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|July 25, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 16, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|April 18, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|February 28, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 24, 2018||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 17, 2018||Agenda|
|December 13, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|October 18, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 20, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|August 23, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|July 19, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|June 21, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 17, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|April 13, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 29, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 15, 2017||Cancelled Agenda|
|February 15, 2017||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 24, 2017||Agenda|
|January 18, 2017||Agenda|